Hi everybody, it's Edie,
A few weeks ago I found an little, armless, vintage doll at a yard sale. I brought her home and stuck her in my box of ephemera to await her chance to be molded.
I had never made a two part mold before and to be honest, I was kind of intimidated by the whole idea. I was worried about it leaking, not lining up properly and just not turning out right in general. Thank goodness Amazing Mold Putty has fantastic tutorials on their website, because my first two part mold turned out FANTASTIC! I followed the instructions I had seen on the site and it was sooooo simple!
You can view the full (time lapse) video tutorial below or you can view the full (real time) Ustream episode full of tips and viewer questions and answers.
I made the first half of my mold, covered the front side of my doll, making sure to stop at the seam line. While it was still moldable, I used the end of a paint brush to create markers on the outside edge. This will help to ensure my mold lines up properly every time. I let the first half set completely before moving on.
I gave the seam line and all of the nooks and crannies a coat of Vaseline, but you can use what ever mold release you like. It is extremely important to cover ALL of the areas the Amazing Mold Putty might connect because it will adhere to it's self. I mixed up the second half of my mold and covered the back side of my doll, making sure to push the Putty into all of the earlier mentioned nooks and crannies ;)
Once my mold was completely set, I removed my original doll and started preparing my mold for casting. I knew I would be using this mold with Amazing Casting Resin and the Amazing Clear cast, so I cut some little vents in the bottom to allow air bubbles escape.
I wrapped a rubber band around the mold, put it upside down in a cup and added paper around the bottom to hold the mold upright. Next, I mixed up some Amazing Casting Resin, poured it into my little air holes and let it set.
Even though it is not technically a 'Frozen Charlotte" doll, that is what my cast doll reminded me of and I ♪♫LOVE♪♫ it!
I trimmed away the excess resin (do this BEFORE the item is completely set) and sanded her in a few spots. Amazing casting Resin is basically a hard, shiny plastic, so I gessoed my cast doll before I painted her.
I mixed some gum arabic into my PearlEx powder for a binder and added water to create my base paint, then I used Iridescent Pearl craft paint on her face, belly and legs for highlight.
I created the wings with a piece of transparency paper. I painted on a basic wing shape for a guide, then I cut two pieces of wire and super glued them into place. For the outline of the wings I added a line of glue and sprinkled on some blue microbeads. I painted the inside of her wings with copper acrylic craft pain and tapped the paint for texture. Once the paint was dry I stamped them with Distress Ink. I made little holes in the wings by pushing a lit incense stick thought the transparency sheet. I love how these wings turned out and I plan on using them on another project that allows them to stick out :D I got the basic idea for these wings from Terri Sproul and you can see what she did here.
While that was drying I worked on the background canvas. I painted an 8 X 10 canvas board with black craft paint. I then stamped it with archival ink and embossed the stamped images with black embossing powder. Lastly, I attached the wings and the doll to the canvas with E-6000 glue.
Even though she isn't a "Frozen Charlotte", she's still Charlotte to me :)
You can view more of my work on my blog.