Wednesday, June 6

A Queen's Dose of Vintage

Hey, Gang!! It's Rachel Whetzel again! This project took some thinking!! While I was teaching an art class for my middle son, I came across a dead bumble bee in my stash of goodies I had brought to use in class. I instantly knew it would look really awesome in some resin, and got to thinking about how I wanted to create a piece with it. Turns out I used a little bit of everything in this piece, and I'm really excited about how it turned out!!
I decided that in order to have a nice and round form, I'd have to get creative. I ended up choosing these cutters.
 
First, I used two equal parts Amazing Mold Putty and mixed them together until they were uniform. Then I rolled out the piece, and set the two larger cutters into the mold putty.

Once the putty was set, I used Amazing Clear Cast to set the bumble bee. I chose the smaller of the two forms.
It took some doing to get the resin out of the form, so next time, I would figure out how to use the cutter to create a press, and make an actual mold with the mold putty. Once I sanded down the edges, I glued some dictionary paper to the back of the pendant.
Next, I used Amazing Casting Resin and Alumilite Black Dye to create a "shell" around the outer edge of the pendant. When mixing dyes into your resin, (especially the quick setting Casting Resin) be sure to mix the dye into Part A before you combine Part A and B in order to preserve your pour/set time as long as you can. 




Once everything was mixed, I used a Q-tip to "paint" the black shell onto the outside of the pendant.
I rested the pendant on a plastic bag to keep it from sticking, and only painted the sides of the pendant.
Next, I used a large vintage spoon with it's handle cut off and bent to create a necklace setting, and poured more dyed Casting Resin. While it was still wet, I set the bee pendant, and some vintage rhinestones into the piece. A really cool tip I saw somewhere, and I can't remember where now... is to use RICE to keep rolly pieces level. That's what I did when I poured this portion of resin.
Once the resin had started to set more firmly, I pressed some smaller rhinestones into the piece as well.
I strung the piece onto a vintage strand of costume pearls, and used some "dog tag" chain to add interest to the necklace.
This piece took a while because of the clear cast resin's cure time, but I love the way it turned out!! I'll be using casting resin to set more pieces of silverware jewelry for sure.
Be sure to share any projects you make using ideas like this on the Amazing Mold Putty® Facebook Page!!
I'd also love it if you visit me at "my house"!!
And too?
There's a discount code for you when you decide to go and try this stuff out for yourself!
Use the code AMP20at check out, and get 20% off of your order!! Offer expires - Sept 30, 2012.

1 comment:

  1. I love how it turned out! You really did an amazing job.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...