Tuesday, July 26

#Cre8time Solutions... How to FIX a Broken DONUT by Maria Soto

My kids love going to Chemshaw 13 DonutZ and Comics shop in Crown Point, Indiana. They have some amazing donuts and lots of comics – not to mention their coffee is really good too. Well a couple of weeks ago, we went to get some donuts and my daughter purchased this really cute key chain. It had this really nice donut, I guess even their toy donuts are fun to have. 

The other day my daughter came to me all sad as she showed me her key chain and how her little donut was falling apart. She asked me if I could fix it for her... I said "sure, I'll use some clear resin." She responded, "but can it stay soft as it is now?" I looked at her puzzled, "what do you mean soft?"

I had no idea, but it turns out the little donut is made of a sponge like material – I thought it was made of plastic.


This is the cute little chocolate with sprinkles
donut key chain she purchased.


And now it was falling apart from where
the plastic ring holds the key chain part.


Look how soft this little donut is... honestly, it really does look like it's made of bread. The texture is pretty awesome. I decided the best way to use the Amazing Clear Cast Resin was to apply in small amounts with the mixing wood stick. 

When I thought it was made of plastic, I was going to just add the resin all over it on the outside to give it a covering of resin to keep it from breaking apart again later on. Now I had to take a different approach since my daughter wanted me to make sure it would stay nice as soft once fixed. 


I gathered these supplies to make the repair: parchment paper, wipes, measuring cups, a mixing stick, and Amazing Clear Cast Resin.


Using Amazing Clear Cast Resin is pretty easy – you mix equal amounts of parts "A" and "B" {you can CLICK HERE to view mixing instructions}. 

   

Add part "A" to part "B" and mix the resin slowly, 
then let it sit for a few minutes for the bubbles to go away.


Once the resin was mixed, I began to add a few drops at a time into the donut, starting where the donut was falling apart. Since this is a sponge like material, I figured it would absorb the resin, so I kept adding more resin inside. 


The inside material looked wet once the resin was added.


I waited a few minutes and then began to apply some of the resin onto the back of the donut using the stir stick – concentrating mostly on the area where the tear took place. Then I added a layer of Amazing Clear Cast Resin over the entire back.


I left this alone for 24 hours to cure. I was a bit worried the resin might take away the softness of this little donut...

   


But twenty-four hours later, I checked and YES!! The donut was fixed... and it was still as soft as it was before getting repaired with resin – even the back was still soft!


  

You can still see where the repair was made, but that is OK. I just hope that when my daughter adds this to her keys, it will last her a long time.


This fun donut key ring is as good as new, and my daughter is so happy that I was able to fix it! I seriously love this product... it's "amazing" no matter how I use it.

What creative ways do you repair things?

Have you tried this Amazing Clear Cast Resin in any other way besides making molds? If so, please share with us your projects. We love to see what others do with this awesome product.

Thanks for visiting! I invite you to stop over to my blog, "What is Creativity"
 at http://chuy-creativity.blogspot.com to see more of my creations. ~ Maria Soto

• • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • •

Don't forget to subscribe to our blog on the right side bar:
Twitter at AmazingCasting | Facebook at AmazingMoldPutty | YouTube at AmazingMoldPutty

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...