Monday, November 27

A Key to #Cre8time... DIY Key Holder by Brenda Burfeind


Good day all! Brenda here from Creativity is a State of Mind and today I'm hoping to inspire you to make your own skeleton key holder.

My inspiration comes from a key holder our son made when he was in middle school many, many years ago... and we've used it ever since. While this has worked for us for many years – it never hung straight depending on how many keys we had. I honestly don't even know what all these keys are for. Maybe I'll make something with all the extras – LOL! 


Last week my hubby said, "we should get a new one and give the old key holder to our son since he owns his own home now. I'll put a new hanger on the back before I give it to him (or maybe not)". But that's when inspiration started to form in my creative head!


At the time, I was actually in the middle of pouring some molds for another project. Whenever I am pouring molds, I usually mix more resin than I need, so I'll pull out some extra molds out to use up any remaining resin (you can see mixing instructions here). I started with these molds made from some vintage skeleton keys I own. You can view a YouTube video HERE to see how to create your own molds using Amazing Mold Putty

This batch of keys cast with Amazing Casting Resin and Alumilite Dyes are not exactly skeleton key colors, but...


with acrylic paint anything can be transformed!


I also used a little bit of the copper Alumidust just by simply putting my finger in the jar and rubbing it all over the keys. Voila!


I used E6000® to glue the faux resin skeleton keys in the shape of a "K" onto a reclaimed wood board painted with black acrylic paint. I used picture hangers as the hooks for the real keys and distressed them with some of the black acrylic paint mixed with a little bit of copper Alumidust


I sprayed a couple of coats of clear acrylic over the entire board to seal it and give the resin skeleton keys a little shine. This also helps the acrylic paint stay on the hooks. 


After that was dried my Silhouette Cameo came in handy to cut out the "eys" in a copper colored vinyl, then transferred them to the "K" made with my resin skeleton keys.


Now we have a new key holder and my son
can now enjoy the one he made in middle school.


I hope I've inspired you to make something useful
for your home and I hope to see you again soon!

Until next time, Happy Crafting! ~ Brenda

I invite you to stop over to my blog,
to see all that I've been making. 

• • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • •

Don't forget to subscribe to our blog on the right side bar:
Twitter at AmazingCasting | Facebook at AmazingMoldPutty | YouTube at AmazingMoldPutty

1 comment:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...