Monday, April 13

A #Cre8time Spelling Game that's SO AMAZING...
by Susan M. Brown {sbartist}


Hello Amazing Crafters! I am the type of crafter that dabbles in all kinds of creative play and I'm always on the lookout for stray game pieces to recycle into projects... especially letters. Recently at a family gathering, my dear MIL brought out her scrabble game to start up a game. She has a fancy version of the game with pretty burgundy colored wooden alphabet tiles – you know what I was thinking right??! I have to mold these!!! So she let me borrow them so I could do just that.


Now molding Scrabble tiles is nothing new here and I can recall a few projects here on the Amazing Casting Products blog using them with Amazing Mold Putty. But I want to mold the whole alphabet so I'm enlisting my Amazing Mold Rubber – which will help me mold them all at once and give me extreme detail, even from these tiny tiles. Thanks to ideas on Pinterest... finding these at thrift stores or yard sales is near impossible where I live – Scrabble tiles are a hot commodity.

  

First I selected all the tiles to get one of each letter, a couple blanks, and then chose a few letters for duplicates {vowels and for spelling double letter words}. I prepared my trusty recycled packaging/mold box with a new layer of 3M spray adhesive.


I placed all the tiles in my mold box pressing firmly into the tacky spray adhesive, leaving about 1/4" between each square and clearance from edges of moldbox.


I mixed up an entire Amazing Mold Rubber kit to pour my letter tile mold, and any remaining will go to help fill another mold in the works. CLICK HERE to view mixing/preparation.

  

I poured the Amazing Mold Rubber gently between and over the tiles, completely covering them all by about 1/8" to the top of my makeshift moldbox. I watched for any trapped airbubbles, and kept a close eye on any tiles trying to swim away until about a 1/2 hour passed. Two looked like the corners were poking up, so I pressed them back down and thought they would stay put. After the coast was seemingly clear, I headed off to bed for the night.



Look what greeted me this morning??! Arrrrgggghhhh! LOL!


This is why it's important to GLUE your items to the mold box. My spray adhesive method works pretty good and this is the first time anything got away on me. But these tiles are lightweight and I can see how the strength of the liquid silicone could set it free. Luckily it is one of the letters I put twice, so I can just chuckle at the random square on the back of my mold.


Time for the mold reveal... AMAZING as always!



Using detail scissors, I gently trim away any fringe of silicone that had oozed under the tiles and I am ready to cast some letters.



Look at the AMAZING detail! The letters are perfect and the woodgrain in the tiles is perfectly rendered as well. I select a few letters to spell out and dust them with some Light Purple Alumidust using a paintbrush.



I prepare a batch of Amazing Casting Resin – approximately 1 oz. of each of parts "A" and "B". CLICK HERE to view mixing/preparation.

  

I added some of the same Light Purple Alumidust into my mixing cup to tint the resin.



I pour the prepared Amazing Casting Resin into my selected letters, then poured the remaining resin into other letters and also another mold I grabbed just in case there was extra. 

I am always so excited to see the the end result. One thing I have to learn is patience to pour resin in smaller items. It's better to make smaller batches of Amazing Casting Resin and pour slowly – large mixed batches heat up really quick which makes the curing faster... and you have to pour in a hurry. As a result, I overpoured a couple of my tiles, but can be fixed with a little filing.



Otherwise, they came out fantastic! The pearlescent purple is gorgeous.


What fun items would you cast

Please leave a comment below to share your ideas -or- please, ask us questions! If you would like to see more of my creations, please visit my blog sbartist : painting in the dark by clicking here -or- check out more videos on my YouTube channel here. ~ Susan

Thanks for stopping by and have a creative day!

• • • • • • • • • • • • • •

Don't forget to subscribe to our blog on the right side bar:
Twitter at AmazingCrafting | Facebook at AmazingMoldPutty | YouTube at AmazingMoldPutty

3 comments:

  1. beautiful creation. Love the alumidust. TFS

    ReplyDelete
  2. Omg Susan, I love it.
    Now I want to buy a scrabble game just to make a mold!

    ReplyDelete
  3. These tiles are so cool, its a great idea to make a customised scrabble set

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...