Monday, April 20

Plastic Toys Get a New #Cre8time Leash on Life... by Isabel Villarreal


Hi there crafters! I originally started making these as cute and kitschy dog art for friends and then realized they would make amazingly adorable leash organizers. I personalized mine by painting them to look like my friends' pets.


My first step was to cut the toys in half. I wouldn't be using the entire piece, just the front half.

The next step was to make a mold box. I used advertising flyers to make mine. I secured the original pieces to the bottom of the box using hot glue. For these dogs I decided to use Amazing Mold Rubber because they are fairly small and have lots of detail. Since the Mold Rubber starts as a thick liquid, it gets into the smallest areas to pick up really remarkable detail.


My Amazing Mold Rubber set in about 2 hours. Setting time really depends on the temperature and humidity in your area. I molded 2 pieces in the same mold box so I used a sharp knife to cut the 2 molds apart and then each mold in half so that I would have a 2-part mold. I used a piece of elastic and a pin to keep the 2 pieces tightly fitted while I poured my resin.

   

Using Amazing Casting Resin I filled the molds and waited about 15 minutes for it to set. The 2-part mold makes it easier to remove the cured resin casting from the mold. Here you can see my results.

   

Now to paint my resin pieces. I used acrylic paint to add colors and details to my dogs. I bought a couple of wood plaques from my local craft store to use as the back board. A few pencil marks and drill holes later, I had the perfect backs for my doggies. The resin dogs would also need to be drilled in the back of each piece.


With a little paint my plaques were transformed. I used a screw to attach the dogs to the boards and added a wall hook.


The final pieces are cute enough to grace your wall as 3D dog art, and they also hold your leashes! I will probably coat the entire thing in a thin layer of Clear Cast, just to be sure the dogs don't get damaged from daily use.

What will you create

I'd love to see what you create! Please upload and share your creations to the


 • • • • • • • • • • • • • •

Don't forget to subscribe to our blog on the right side bar:
Twitter at AmazingCrafting | Facebook at AmazingMoldPutty | YouTube at AmazingMoldPutty

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...