Thursday, December 13

Cookie Cutter Resin Ornaments

 Cookie Cutter Resin Ornaments
 
Tis the season to be jolly.....
 
 
This was an experiment that I wanted to try and I have to say I love the results. Who would have thought my metal & plastic cookie cutters could produce such beautiful results. Now my ornaments aren't perfect, they do have one minor flaw design, OK two, the first flaw is that you can't eat them. The second flaw I will explain a little further down, its very minor as you will see.
 
 
Lets get cookin!
 
What you will need
metal or plastic cookie cutters
duct tape, tuck tape, green painters tape
The Amazing 5 minute Casting Resin
Alumilite Dye
bling/ribbon
 
Step 1
- tape the bottom of your cookie cutter with tape.
 
Step 2
- Pour equal parts of The Amazing Casting Resin into two separate containers
- you should have Part A in one container and Part B in the other container.
- mix dye into part A of The Amazing Casting Resin.
 
Step 3
- Mix part A into part B of The Amazing Casting Resin and stir for about one minute.
Step 4
- Pour resin into the cookie cutter. Apply pressure to the top of the metal cookie cutter.
 
The reason you want to put a little pressure on your metal cookie cutter for the first few minutes is to avoid leakage out the botton (pictured above).
Step 5
- let your resin harden, about 5 minutes.
 
Step 6
- Remove resin from the cookie cutter and/or remove tape.
- punch a hole through your resin with a crop-o-dile.
- decorate your resin shape
 
Now as mentioned above, there is a slight flaw to this design. The tape will leave residue on the back of your ornament. This can be removed with a little elbow grease. I steamed my residue off. If you don't want to do that, cover it with paper or tinfoil for a cool effect.
 
 

 
Now some of you are probably wondering why I didn't just use my mold putty for this project. Well first off I wanted to see if this would work, secondly, if you are on a budget and can ONLY afford to buy one alumilite product this time around, then purchase the resin. There are SO MANY THINGS you can use around the house to create molds, but the resin you can't live without!!
You can purchase it HERE
 
I will be sharing the Cookie Cutter technique Live on February 9th from 11-12 am HERE
Join me on this date and I will show you how to take this simple idea and turn it into an item worthy of LOVE!
 


4 comments:

  1. KUDOS Lee!!! These ornaments are brilliant...and I love that they are green crafted, too. I'm sure you will cherish your new holiday ornaments for years to come :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi! I just stumbled upon this post, and it's AMAZING!

    I do have to ask - how do you get the resin piece out of the mold? Do you use some special technique or mold release? I'd love to try this out, but I'd like to figure out how to get my piece out before doing so! ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tiff - You can rub the inner edge of the cookie cutter with vaseline or vegetable oil. This will keep the resin from sticking to it. Please keep in mind, you don't want to use the cookie cutter for food again AFTER putting resin in it. We'd love to see your creations when you are done :) Sb

      Delete
  3. Hi Sue: Glad I found this little tutorial as I had wanted to verify that I could attempt to use cookie cutters as shape molds with resin. I have been using white plastic kitchen garbage bags under open polymer clay shapes for pouring centre resin, putting a paper towel under the kitchen bag, making sure the bag is flat and no wrinkles first, I then put a weight on the whole thing to seal any bottom leakage points. It's work well so I may try that in lieu of the tape.
    Ty!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...