Tuesday, July 24

Creating Faux Amber


My last post I talked about how I love our local library because of all the amazing How-To books you can find.  The book I found was called "The Art of Resin Jewelry" by Sherri Haab, let me just state I need to add this book to my vast how-to collection.  The faux Amber technique was taken from the book and it worked amazingly.  The box was a wooden box that I painted to look like Birds Eye Maple, the flower I colored with Bic Mark-its before adding the resin.


1.  Materials:  
  • Amazing Clear Cast Resin
  • Alumilite Yellow, Brown and Caucasian Dye
  • Tooth Picks (adding dye)
  • Craft Stick (mixing resin)
  • Paper Cup
  • Foil or Gold Leaf (organic materials such as bark, leaves, etc can also be used)
  • Molds (I used a flower one)
  • Wooden Box

Inside or the box:
  • Felt
  • Dew Drops
  • Hot Glue
  • Clear Cast Resin
2.  Mix equal parts of Part A and Part B of the Clear Cast Resin.  Dip toothpick into yellow dye swirl around, dip another toothpick into brown swirl around and dip a toothpick into caucasian swirl around.  Since I own several pieces of amber jewelry I matched the color of the resin to my jewelry.  Cut small flakes of foil and add to part A before mixing the two parts together.  Once the foil has been added to part A, dump both Part A and Part B into a paper cup and mix completely.

3.  Pour resin into molds or cut out of the box.  Allow to cure for 24-48 hours before handling.

Inside of the box:  
Line bottom of the box with felt (I chose and amber color).  I added dew drops to the inside of the box and mixed more clear cast resin to cement the dew drops into place.  I allowed the inside to dry for 24-48 hours.








1 comment:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...