Monday, December 8

I have my #Cre8time Eye on AMAZING Faceted Castings... by Susan M. Brown {sbartist}


Hello Amazing Crafters! Susan bringing you another edition of Mold Rubber Monday. How do you top off a beautiful creation?? With one singular sensational accent piece!

I have a couple of local crafty friends who specialize in vintage finds and this burlap tulle flower is perfectly paired with one of my finds – a vintage glass drawer pull. But I only have two... and I know I want to make a bunch of these to retrofit an old dresser on top of using them other crafty endeavors. That's the wonderful thing about Amazing Casting Products... the thrill of the hunt to find interesting old things to mold and transform into something totally different. And this glass bezel was a perfect specimen for molding in Amazing Mold Rubber!

This flower is so gorgeous with layers of vintage lace dress detailing, tulle, burlap and muslin fabric flowers grunged up with Ranger Adirondack Paint Daubers and Antique Linen Distress Stain. I had something else in the center at first, but it didn't do it justice. The cast vintage bezel added just the touch of steampunk flair I was looking for. By molding the bezel in Amazing Mold Rubber, I've captured all the pristine faceted details. This casting was made using Amazing Casting Resin and the mold dusted with Alumilite Pearlescent and Silver Metallic Powders. I love how this creates a milk glass feel which compliments the shabby chic burlap flower.


This molding adventure did veer off course as a craft FAIL. I thought the piece was all fused together and I didn't realize the glass bezel unscrewed from the filigree detailing in the base. I mounted the bezel and the stem into a small round snack container to use as a mold box so that the Amazing Mold Rubber could be poured completely around. I mixed and poured my batch of mold rubber {CLICK HERE to view mixing/preparation}, then patiently waited to see the AMAZING results. Needless to say, I couldn't even remove my bezel as the liquid silicone had filled in all the crevices in and around the filigree and grabbed on like a million octopus tentacles. But there is HOPE!

I was able to salvage the faceted bezel portion by cutting away the torn up top section of the mold {you can still see a bit of the torn filigree around the top edge}. I cut away nearly half of the mold, salvaging the cut pieces to use as filler for another mold. I love how the bezel came out and that I can cast as many as I like in any color imaginable! One day I need to find time for some experimentation to casting a mold of the filigree detailed base.

Even the opaque Amazing Casting Resin reflects the facets perfectly captured in the mold. The purple casting in the center is Amazing Clear Cast Resin with a smidge of Alumilite Violet Dye and is equally gorgeous!


The flower is made from a bunch die cut vintage lace, tulle muslin, and burlap - topped off with a resin cast duplicate of a vintage glass drawer pull bezel mounted in the original filigree base. All is wired to a simple gold fabric headband from the Dollar Tree {my favorite guilty pleasure}. I get so many compliments when I wear this, people are surprised to hear that I made it. For an "all things purple" girl... I really LOVE this!


What vintage find would you transform
using Amazing Casting Products??

Please leave a comment below to share! If you would like to see more of my creations, please visit my blog sbartist : painting in the dark by clicking here. ~ Susan
. . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Want to Socialize with Amazing Crafting Products?
Twitter at @AmazingCrafting | Facebook at AmazingMoldPutty | YouTube at AmazingMoldPutty

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...