Thursday, June 23

#Cre8time Transformations... DIY Graduation Keepsake by Brenda Burfeind

Hi amazing crafting friends! Brenda here from Creativity is a State of Mind and I am pretty excited to show off my faux lightbulb with you today using most of the Amazing Casting Products.

My niece recently graduated from high school and I wanted to make her something special she can keep her tassel in and still be displayed. So let's get started.

I started with an ordinary light bulb that I hoarded away when hubby wasn't looking. He's been making me purge because he recently built me an amazing crafting space. Two full rooms to be exact and I will have pictures up on my blog soon. It's still a work in progress, but it's getting there. After rearranging and sorting I have found so many "new" things to play with that I am forcing myself to stay away from the craft store. Working at Michaels doesn't help one bit though – LOL!

Anyway, back to my light bulb. I carefully took it apart. There are tutorials on Pinterest on how to do this, but it's quite simple. I poked a hole in the black part and with a needlenose pliers I broke away everything around it. I did wear protective eye wear and gloves just in case. Honestly, it wasn't as scary as I thought it would be.


Now onto the fun part. I took my Amazing Clear Cast Resin and some Fluorescent "Flo" Yellow dye and mixed it up. You can view mixing instructions HERE


I then poured the mixture into my light bulb and kept swirling it around. Now the Amazing Clear Cast Resin takes hours to set up, but when you do such a thin layer it doesn't really take that long. I sat myself in front of the TV and just kept rotating my light bulb until I could see that it wasn't moving anymore. It coated the inside of the light bulb wonderfully in about 20 minutes. I then turned it upside down in a cup to let any drippings if any come out. 

Now the reason I used Amazing Clear Cast Resin is because the light bulb is made of REAL glass and I wanted to prevent it from breaking. The resin inside of the glass will hopefully help with that. It felt pretty tough when it was done setting up.


Now after I had done this, I realized I didn't have a stopper that looked realistic, so I went into the bathroom and stole another light bulb just to mold my black piece. I used Amazing Mold Putty {to mix this up and you can view those instructions HERE}. The mold set up in no time.


I mixed up some Amazing Casting Resin with the black Alumilite dye and the same mixing instructions as above and created my cap.


See how realistic this looks and it only took a few minutes to set up?


Now I didn't want to have to explain what the gift was, so instead I created a faux tassel. She may or may not keep it like this.


I attached some wire to the tassel and
threaded it through the faux cap.


For now I used some double-sided super heavy duty sticky tape and taped the cap onto the light bulb. If she puts her own tassel in it for safe keeping she may think about gluing the cap on.


And with my Cricut I cut "To a bright future" out in vinyl and applied it to the light bulb. Isn't that just fun? I love how it turned out and cannot wait to hear what she thinks of her gift.

What item in your
"trash"
would you repurpose?

I'm glad you stopped by today and as always, I hope you've enjoyed my "how to". Please leave me a comment and also head over to Creativity is a State of Mind to see what else I am up to.

Until next time, shine bright! ~ Brenda

• • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • •

Don't forget to subscribe to our blog on the right side bar:
Twitter at AmazingCasting | Facebook at AmazingMoldPutty | YouTube at AmazingMoldPutty

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...