Monday, May 23

From #Cre8time Organization to Springtime Pendants... by Tracy Alden


Hello! Tracy here for another edition of Mold Rubber Monday! I am always looking for new shapes and textures to mold and cast in resin. In the process of sorting my beads recently I noticed the hard plastic containers many small beads come in have perfectly smooth and glossy lids. With the help of Amazing Mold Rubber I was able to create new resin pendant molds from them!

Supplies:


I went through my collection of plastic bead containers picking the best shapes and glossy smooth tops. I cleaned each piece to be molded with rubbing alcohol to remove any debris or dirt.


Carefully following the instructions, I mixed up a small amount Amazing Mold Rubber and slowly poured it into my mold box, in this case a former plastic food tray. CLICK HERE to view mixing/preparation. In the process of mixing, the Amazing Mold Rubber had formed bubbles. To quickly pop the bubbles I used a heat gun to slowly heat the uncured mold rubber to pop the bubbles.


Once cured I had a perfectly smooth layer of Amazing Mold Rubber at the bottom of the mold box. I mixed up more Amazing Mold Rubber to fill up the tray with another thin layer. I carefully placed each lid into the liquid Mold Rubber and pressed them into place with a stir stick.


Since many plastic objects placed in Amazing Mold Rubber tend to shift or drift in the liquid silicone, I placed little glass decorative pebbles into each lid to anchor the lids in place while the Mold Rubber cured.


Once the Amazing Mold Rubber was completely cured I removed the lids from the plastic tray. When I gently removed the lids from the Mold Rubber they came out rather cleanly, requiring very little trimming of the mold rubber with craft scissors.


I mixed up a small portion of Amazing Clear Cast Resin, making sure to slowly stir to reduce air bubbles and let it sit for 10 minutes. I poured resin into each mold, filling them up halfway. Using tweezers I placed small amounts of dried herbs and flowers into each mold. In a few of the molds I placed Paper House Productions Stickers on top of the dried plant material. Since these stickers are thin plastic I did not need to seal them before placing them into the resin. I carefully removed any air bubbles by using a heat gun. I let this layer cure to a tacky set.


I mixed up another small portion of Amazing Clear Cast Resin, this time just enough to fill each pendant mold to the top. I added a few more stickers and bits of dried plants to create a 3D effect in each piece. I let the resin cure completely.


Once I removed the pendants from the molds I carefully sanded any edges smooth. With the addition of a small hole drill through the top or a small jewelry bail glued to the back of the pendants, these pieces are ready to be made into wonderful Springtime jewelry!

What AMAZING arts and crafts can you create?

Please share them on the user GALLERY on the Amazing Crafting Products Website!

Visit my blog Art Resurrected for more craft tutorials!

Until next time, safe travels! ~ Tracy

• • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • •

Don't forget to subscribe to our blog on the right side bar:
Twitter at AmazingCasting | Facebook at AmazingMoldPutty | YouTube at AmazingMoldPutty

3 comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...