Tuesday, July 7

Giving New #Cre8time Life to Old Art... an Amazing #Jewelry Tutorial by Tracy Alden


Hello! Tracy here to share a jewelry creation using Amazing Casting Products! Going through my craft supplies is a never ending process; often I come across projects I never finished or didn't quite like how it came out. I save these projects in hopes that I might someday rework them and give the art a new life. One of those pieces was a small ceramic mask, inspired by Mesoamerican art, I made out of clay and glazed. I wasn't very happy with how the glaze turned out, and my attempts at trying to "fix" it with paint didn't work out well. Any further attempts to fix it I gave up on but I still liked the sculpting, and packed it away. I found the piece once again and wondered if Amazing Mold Putty would give me the chance to remake the piece into something better?

Supplies:


Starting with my original ceramic piece, I scrubbed it to remove as much of the paint and dust on the piece making sure it was in good shape to mold.


I placed the mask on an clear acrylic block, mixed up the Amazing Mold Putty {CLICK HERE to view mixing/preparation} and molded it around the front and sides of the mask. Being that it was on an acrylic block I could flip it over to see if I had the Mold Putty pushed up tight along the edges.


I put some Amazing Mold Putty in the inside cavity of the mask, in essence making a two part mold. This way when I poured the resin the mask wouldn't be a solid piece and mimics the shape of the original mask.


Once the mold was fully cured I mixed up a small batch of Amazing Casting Resin and poured the resin halfway into the mask mold. {CLICK HERE to view mixing/preparation}. I let this layer cure.


I placed the mask mold insert inside the half filled mask mold, and poured more Amazing Casting Resin inside the mold, all the way to the top. I let the resin fully cure before removing it.


Once I removed my resin mask from the mold, I sanded any edges or excess resin off the piece and washed off any resin dust.


I gathered a selection of beads, ceramic, glass and buffalo bone to start giving myself an idea of what color I should paint the mask. I picked a strand of beautiful ceramic beads from Fiona Accessories that had a wonderful mix of green, blue, and brown hues in their glaze... this reminded me of the wonderful rich earthy hues of many Mesoamerican artifacts.


I applied layers of green, brown and yellow acrylic paint in a stipple pattern, and several coats of Liquitex Gloss Varnish to mimic the look of a glazed piece. I then strung the focal and beads on cording and added a clasp to finish the necklace. 

So many pieces can now be reworked and made into
new art with a little help from Amazing Mold Putty!

What AMAZING arts and crafts can you create?


Visit my blog Art Resurrected for more craft tutorials!

Until next time, safe travels! ~ Tracy

• • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • •

Don't forget to subscribe to our blog on the right side bar:
Twitter at AmazingCrafting | Facebook at AmazingMoldPutty | YouTube at AmazingMoldPutty

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...