Wednesday, November 26

Christmas Cookie Ornaments Sparkling with Surprise by Isabel Villarreal

Hi there crafters! This is Isabel with another fun holiday idea for you. I know Thanksgiving isn't over yet but I get so excited about Christmas decorating that I just couldn't wait to get started on making tree ornaments. These sparkly stars are easy to make and they even pack their own small surprise. 


These ornaments are made using a cookie cutter so they can be made in any shape you want. I chose a star for these but I'll be using other shapes to make more. The plan is to make these ornaments look like sugar cookies so I started by softening a chunk of Sculpey polymer clay. Once it was ready I flattened it with a rolling pin and pressed a plastic cookie cutter into the clay. Peel away the extra clay and after removing the cookie cutter, use an exacto or small utility knife to cut away anything hanging over or any irregular edges.


I made some small resin stars for a previous project and I have a few stashed away in my box o' crafty stuff so I used one to emboss the surface of my clay star. You can use buttons or any interesting shape to create a pattern on the surface of your ornament. About 7 minutes in a toaster oven ( I use a separate toaster oven for food prep) did the trick and my clay star was ready to mold.


To make the mold I used Amazing Mold Putty {please CLICK HERE to view mixing/preparation}. After mixing the 2 parts together until they were an even yellow color, I quickly flattened it out and pressed the baked clay face down into the putty and left it there to cure for about 10 minutes. I got a nice impression from my clay star so I was happy. When I'm working on this type of project I like to make several molds to save myself time. I made two of these molds so I could make a couple ornaments at once.


With a small soft brush I coated the star with Alumidust powder, making sure to avoid the small pressed stars inside the shape. Alumidust comes in lots of great colors, so I picked out a few to try out. For the small star impressions I used a little of the Alumilite Phosphorescent Powder.


After dusting my star mold I mixed up some Amazing Casting Resin {CLICK HERE to view mixing/preparation}. The Amazing Casting Resin starts out clear and turns a solid opaque white when it's cured, and cures in about 10 minutes depending on temperature.


When removed from the mold my new resin ornaments have a nice even color and are ready to be decorated. I made sure to remove them while they were still a little soft and leave them to finish curing on a teflon sheet. When the resin is till soft it's much easier to trim away any over pour that may have occurred. I used my handy dandy Crop-A-Dile to punch a hole at the top of each star. I threaded some string  through a small jingle bell and then through the hole at the top.


Metallic markers accent the small inner stars and I added a bow made from glitter ribbon with a  strip of iridescent thin white ribbon to hold it on place. 


And here's the little added surprise – the Alumilite Phosphorescent Powder makes the ornaments glow so you have a show stopping detail after the lights are out. How cool is that!

How will you use Amazing Mold Putty and
Amazing Casting Resin to decorate this holiday season?

CLICK HERE to find out how you can win some over at Unruly Paper Arts Blogozine.

I'd love to see what you create! Please upload and share your creations to the


 • • • • • • • • • • • • • •

Does the idea of playing with AMAZING Crafting Products
get you in the mood to try some new things!? 

Amazing Crafting Products and the Alumilite company are looking for Creative Team Members!! You can check out the details of our call HERE!


 • • • • • • • • • • • • • •

Don't forget to subscribe to our blog on the right side bar:
Twitter at AmazingCrafting | Facebook at AmazingMoldPutty | YouTube at AmazingMoldPutty

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...