- Amazing Casting Resin
- Amazing Mold Putty
- Amazing Mold Rubber
- Two Baskin and Robbin Tasting Spoons
- Two Sponge Daubers
- Two Googly Eyes
- Alumilite UMR Mold Release Spray
- Duct Tape (a brand that tears easily)
- Golden Fluid Acrylics: Yellow Ocher, Phthalo Blue, Primary Yellow, Naphthol Red, Titanium White
- Aleene's Tacky Glue
This project consisted of four phases:
- creating the prototype mummy that would be cast
- building a molding bag to mold it in
- making the mummy mold
- casting the resin mummy
Creating the Prototype
- I tore off several strips of duct tape.
- Then I tore each strip into 4 narrower strips.
- Stuck a toothpick into one of the Styrofoam balls and dribbled on some Tacky glue.
- Stuck the second ball onto the toothpick as well.
- Glued and taped on the spoons.
- Pulled the sponges out of the two sponge daubers.
- Glued and taped the tubes on for legs.
- Wrapped strips of duct tape around the whole thing until I was satisfied it was a mummy.
- Glued and taped on the googly eyes.
- I tore off a strip of tape that was about an inch longer than my mummy.
- Placed the strip sticky side up on a non-stick mat.
- Placed a second strip, sticky side down, to overlay half the first one.
- Placed a third strip so it overlaid the remaining sticky half.
- Flipped the tape so the sticky from strips 2 and 3 was facing up.
- I continued doing this until I had a band that would surround the mummy without touching any part of it.
- Taped on a bottom.
- Pinched the bag inward at places, to take up extra space, and taped it at the top.
To prepare each batch of the mold rubber:
- I mixed the base and catalyst until everything turned pink.
- Poured the mixture into my duct tape bag.
- Let it cure (letting one batch cure before pouring the next helps prevent air bubbles).
- I lightly brushed yellow ochre, everywhere, rubbing off most of it immediately with a paper towel. This was to age the 'rags' and bring out the detail.
- Painted the eyes with primary yellow.
- Painted the pupils with phthalo blue.
- Added depth (and horror!) to the eyes with a circle of red.
- Highlighted the eyes with a dot of Titanium White.
- Painted the strip around the eyes with all three colors, letting the colors mix as I painted.
- Painted the mouth with the same mix of colors.
- Painted the teeth with Titanium White.
What creatures have you conjured up
in your Cre8time lately???