Wednesday, October 2

Drippy Drippy... Vlad is a bit messy! DIY Dripping Wine Glass Party Decor by Tanya Ruffin

Time for another Halloween craft. I love crafts that are used for home decor and combined with my favorite season, that would be Halloween decor! At my art studio I teach lots of classes on etching wine glasses, so I thought I would combine home decor with etched wine glasses and this is the Halloween craft i came up with. I can actually see this being used all sorts of ways, but for Halloween I will use red resin to simulate blood!


Supplies:
  • Amazing Clear Cast Resin
  • Alumilite Red Dye
  • Stir stick - $ store
  • Wine Glass - $ store
  • Mini Glass Apothecary Jar Candle, red, 3 oz. - $ store
  • Contact Paper - $ store
  • Etch Cream
  • Painters tape - $ store
  • Non stick surface
  • Plastic cup - $ store
  • Measuring cup - $ store

Before I started my project, I needed to gauge how much Amazing Clear Cast Resin I would need. To do this, I sat the candle in the wine glass and filled the glass with water. Once I liked where the water stopped on the candle I took out the candle and poured the water in a measuring cup. Then I calculated how much half would be (since I will add half the total volume as part "A" and the other half as part "B"). Now I pour the half amount of water in a plastic cup and mark when it is.

Oddly, on a solo cup the half amount was on the "wine" mark. I then poured the remaining half water in the cup and marked where it stopped. So I now know where part "A" will stop and where part "B" will stop (when I add it on top). Now I will use this plastic cup to mix my Amazing Clear Cast Resin when I get to that stage.


My cup was yellow and I could see through it fine. 

First thing I did was cut a "Vlad Tepes Dracul" stencil with my Pazzles cutting machine. This can be hand cut using contact paper of you don't have a cutter or can even be free handed with etch cream that comes in a squirt bottle.


Apply the stencil to the glass, burnish (don't forget this step - make sure to get all edges of the design burnished well!) and add etching cream. The etch cream I use has an etching time of 5 minutes.


This is how it looks after it is etched.


Next - test out how the candle will sit.
You can get these tiny candles at the dollar store
and the labels peel off easily.


Now I'm ready to mix the Amazing Clear Cast Resin.

Remember to add the Alumilite Red Dye to part "A" of the Amazing Clear Cast Resin and mix. Make it a little dark since you will be adding part "B" in and it will thin the color a bit. I used about 20 squirts of red dye... and be prepared for that to take awhile, it squirts slow. Which that is a good thing on small projects!

I used a plastic cover sheet from an old Pazzles cutting mat as my non stick surface... you will make a mess (and yes, the Cricut mat works in the Pazzles and no, I didn't mess up my new mat)!

No matter how much you want to, don't put the candle in before you have poured all the resin. If you measured correctly you will have the exact amount of resin. 


My candle wanted to tilt a little, so I put some blue painters tape
on the inside of the candle and taped it to the edge of the wine glass.

Now I can begin to drizzle red resin down the glass.


Amazing Clear Cast Resin takes a full 24 hours to completely cure,
but after 12 hours you can handle it.


Drippy drippy... Vlad is a bit messy!


NOTE: Take the price tag off before you start!


It glows beautifully and will bring out the etched name
even more when the candle burns down more!

This does take a lot of Amazing Clear Cast Resin, so you may want to start on a smaller wine glass. Mine was 20 oz because I wanted my small candle to sit all the way down inside. Also be aware that resin heats as it cures, so you don't want just a wax candle inside with no container (use a plastic or glass item as a place holder to create a void -or- form one out of Amazing Mold Putty). My wax melted inside as it was curing, but it hardened back up. 

Follow Your Art!



Please visit my site to see more of my inspiring creations. Thanks for visiting! ~ Tanya




...........................................

Don't miss a single post!
Please subscribe to our blog via email on the right side bar:
Twitter at @AmazingCrafting | Facebook at AmazingMoldPutty | YouTube at AmazingMoldPutty

4 comments:

  1. This is a fantastic idea and would be a great gift to make for all the Twilight maniacs. I would make mine with PURPLE dragon's blood!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a cool idea! A matched pair of these would be fantastic for table decorations at Halloween Party!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...